Getting to know Depression: The Dos and Don’ts of Reality
Nowadays, things are seeming more and more far-fetched than it used to be. There is a lot going on all around the world which affects every aspect of our lives and the stress and pressure is overwhelming. However, these certain problems can be masquerading as cleverly planned lies. We must need a keen eye in order to notice simple signs that are overlooked most of the times. You will never know how a person chooses to express a cry for help. But first, let’s understand the meaning of one of the main problems in situations like this.
What is Depression?
This disorder may vary from person to person however, this one tends to change your whole outlook on life. It makes you see things in a negative light. It alters the way you act, think and feel. It is that gnawing feeling that some people describe as “living in a blackhole”. Depression may often be hidden very well by those who feel and go through it, there are a lot of common signs that we can keep an eye on and what we can do to help when we encounter someone who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Six Common Signs of Depression and their Meaning:
- Feeling helpless & Lack of hope- the course of life for them will never change and they are too scared to do something about it because they are tired of ending up disappointed.
- Loss of Interest in Daily Activities- the things that they used to love and are passionate about no longer excites them. In the end the talent they have fades as well.
- Appetite or Weight changes- people usually tend to use things to fill the void and what they can not achieve and food is one of the most common things used to do so. It is either a deprivation of food or a full indulgence in order to divert one’s attention.
- Sleep changes- with too many thoughts on the back of their head and no concrete way on how to let it out, this tends to keep them up that night and cause breakdowns and even insomnia
- Anger or Irritability- the usual temper of a person is lowered to many different levels and even the smallest things can trigger emotional outbursts.
- Loss of energy- it will feel like a heavy cloud is on your shoulders and all you would want to do is just lay down and do nothing will the rest of the world moves on.
What to do when you encounter people with signs of depression? Most of the times, we tend to neglect certain things that have the potential to save a person’s life and make them feel better about themselves. The number one key thing to do is to LISTEN because the most common case scenario is, the person does not have the freedom or they never felt the appropriate amount of comfort to open up about their problems. Another crucial detail is do not JUDGE someone based on the mere facts about the situation. People have different capacities and an easy one for you could mean a hard one for someone else. Always remember to promote suicide hotlines as well. This era we are going through is no joke. Sometimes a simple act could lead everyone else to a better tomorrow.